Saturday, February 11, 2017

Ghostbusters 2016 Movie Review *May Contain Spoilers*

(NOTE: These are my opinions, so take what you read with a grain of salt. Many people loved the movie!)

I finally took the plunge and watched the reboot of "Ghostbusters." I put it off for nostalgic reasons, and I wanted to make sure when I finally DID watch it, I would watch it with an open mind. What can I say? I usually do watch remakes/reboots with no expectations going in. However, because a lot of us grew up with the OG (original Ghostbusters), I had to make sure I was going to keep that in mind as I started the DVD.

Now, I will say that this movie had everything going for it. Between the comedic one-liners and the special effects, I was geared and ready to go! I sat down with a slice (or two) of cheese pizza, a glass of sweet tea, and remote in hand. It was time to start the movie.

I'm sad to say that I didn't enjoy the movie as much as I thought I would. Don't get me wrong, there were parts I absolutely LOVED. I loved the 4 women leads, they were all funny in their own way and sometimes I couldn't help but still laugh at a joke a few more minutes later. I also loved all the cameos- from Ozzy Osbourne to the original members (minus Ramis) from the original film, Slimer, and.... of course... Stay Puft. I didn't see those coming at all- which made it even more magical. (Yes, I said "magical.")

Why didn't I like it? I, personally, didn't feel like the characters had any depth. They all seemed pretty one note for me. Holtz seemed more outgoing of them all. Of course, I would too if I could come up with ghost-catching devices.

It also seemed as if the script had no real direction and the plot seemed flat. Don't get me wrong, it was funny (like I've said before), but it seemed very slow finally getting to the point of this maniac hell-bent on releasing hundreds of ghosts.
McCarthy, Wiig, McKinnon, Jones (l to r)

I wouldn't say this film was particularly horrible, because it did have its moments. However, for me it's not one I'm probably going to watch over and over. I'd give it 3 1/2 stars out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show geeky love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...