Wednesday, January 11, 2017

January Artist Highlight: Simon Says Macy

I've said it millions of time, art comes in all forms- not just painting. There's sculpting, there's spoken-word, and more I can't even think of. I've always heard that "art" is subjective, and it is true. I don't know why, but I love those people who can take a piece of clay and mold it into something adorable or interesting. I can rolls snakes. They're not good by any stretch of the imagination, but they resemble snakes.

Meet Simon Says Macy's, Macy McKenny.

She has amazing skill in manipulating clay into cute and whimsical things.
Loki of Asgard
(Taken from her Instagram)

When I asked her what got her into clay sculpting, she had this to say:
I got into creating with clay because I have always been a very tactile person. I love weird textures - squishy, fuzzy, prickly, slimy, etc. I was working as a graphic designer before I started sculpting and it just wasn't that fulfilling to me for a number of reasons, one being that I wanted to work more with my hands. So I picked up some clay and just started squishing it around and found that I loved it and was actually pretty good at it! Haven't stopped since :]

 So, I thought I would share just a bit of her work.

Fans of Bob's Burgers will enjoy this one. I can't get over Louise's bunny ears.
You can purchase this here.

My favorite Bob's Burgers episode is "Full Bars." I'm a bit of a Halloween lover, so that's natural.

Cephalopots... Get it??

I don't think I've ever needed tentacles coming out of a pot so much. I do! I do!

Beardling. He is adorably scruffy!

A ginger beard/mustache just makes it cute. Of course, when you have family members and a boyfriend that sport a beard, you can't help but want to liken this to them.

Not all flying dragons breathe fire. This breathes cuteness.


I will be the first to admit that I can't stop looking at this particular good-luck charm. Somehow, someway is just speaks to you.

For our last bit of work, I present to you a raccoon holding a strawberry.
Bringing smiles and food

Would you take the strawberry from this little fella? Yeah. I would too.

While I pull myself away from wanting to get a bar of clay and start working it, it's time to share where you can find her!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show geeky love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...