Thursday, January 12, 2017

Anxiety and Getting Healthy

It's no surprise that anxiety (or even depression) will drain every ounce of energy you've ever had. Worrying about those little things you can't control is exhausting, trust me. The thought of getting outside and working had me saying to myself, "Not going to happen. It's way out of my comfort zone." Due to my anxiety/depression, I had started packing on the pounds and had begun to start feeling worse about myself.

I don't know how or what made that change, but one day I was tired of not having that energy to get through the day. Of course, when you're an insomniac, going a day without wanting to nap is a challenge in and of itself. Going to bed at 4am was simply not cutting it anymore. Something needed to be done, and only I could make that happen.

Getting healthy is hard once you start. At least for me it was. After cutting out a lot of my sugar, I found myself craving it more and more. So, here's what I exactly ended up doing to lose weight, feel better about myself, and take control of Mr. Doom and Mrs. Gloom.

Walking
I started walking every day. It doesn't have to be a 4-mile walk, but strap on a pair of good walking shoes (I'm badly in need of new ones now), and put one foot in front of the other. Get some sun. Enjoy the fresh air. This one did aid in releasing my anxiety since I focused on what was in front of me.


Cut Back
I'll be the first to admit that I have a slight addiction to soda and chocolate. Somehow, and with a lot of willpower, I was able to cut back on those from once a week to once a month. I also started eating healthier- adding more greens and proteins. I also developed a love for cantaloupe. Yum! I still enjoy that bubbly, caffeinated beverage but not as often.

Motivation
The motivation didn't show itself right away. I had days where I dreaded to even think about hitting the pavement. Luckily, both my sister and father never let me say, "I'm done. I can't do this anymore." They were patient but also were very willing to help get my butt in gear. Unless the weather was severe or I was sick, I didn't skip a day. I had my good and bad days, but I was able to overcome those.

Fishing
I've mentioned this many times, however it was one of the way I controlled my worries and got into shape. You're using a lot of muscles moving from place to place, casting your line, and reeling in your fish. It is a form of exercise, and it is extremely relaxing.
Fishing rod/reel combo


Stress will always be a part of our lives. That's just something you can't control or change- as hard as you may try. Being able to handle the stress is what really aids in dealing with my anxiety. I've learned to take one day at a time.

Now, not everything I've done will work for everyone. I started it out easy before establishing my new running routine. Once you start loving being outdoors, you want to experience more of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show geeky love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...