Tuesday, May 20, 2014

A Random High School Memory

It's only Tuesday and I've only had 3 panic attacks since Monday. It's okay, though. I had someone right by my side to help me through them. I'm extremely lucky to have such a strong support group.

*Ahem* Yeah.... let's move on.

A few nights ago, I was watching The Golden girls (please tell me you're not shocked), and the episode "Till Death Do We Volley," where Trudy, Dorothy's high school, prank playing friend comes to visit. During the conversation of when she first arrives, someone mentions that they both ran for their senior(?) treasury. This really brought up a weird and yet random memory from my moment in the race for treasury.

Now bear with me, some of the details have been erased and replaced with others.

It was either in the 9/10/11/12th grade. I must have been a junior because I was in English class, first period. (Yes, I know that doesn't make sense to you. Sorry.) It was during the morning announcements, I believe, when they were saying the names of the class nominees for treasury, president, what have you. Shockingly enough, my name was called for treasury. Inside my brain, I was dumbfounded. I was largely unpopular because of my shyness. I had only 3 close friends, so who the hell voted for me to be a nominee?

When I got home from school, I told my mom and dad everything- and they were pretty excited about it, as was Angela. A few days later, we bought some poster board, makers, and I'm sure there was some kind of puffy paint included. Puffy paint worked better on some of the darker ones. Angela helped me out in writing some of them, which I'm thankful for because I was too shaky to make any straight lines. Of course, rulers were helpful.

The next day when we went to school, we put them up with some help from some of the taller students.... Thank you, taller students.

While other nominees (for different positions) were handing out candy to help them win, I was too shy to even try my hand at running a campaign. I let my badly-made poster boards speak for themselves. I was damn proud of those things, too.

Fast forward to the time to vote.

As I was looking at the voting ballot, I saw my name under "Treasurer." Several thoughts popped into my head, "Do I vote for myself? Would I be able to succeed? What happens if I mess up?" So, I did the right thing: Voted for the other person. Perhaps I would get karma points for that.

Okay, another fast forward to morning announcements on the voting tally. To make a long story short, I didn't win. I was happy and sad at the same time. One part of me wanted to win, and the more dominant part wanted me to lose simply because that meant I had to be less shy and more outspoken. If you knew me at all during high school, I was not outspoken in the slightest.

So, that ended my run for "political offices" for life.

(I had more details come up more than I thought. Brains are weirdly fascinating.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show geeky love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...