Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Journaling Through Anxiety

Every day I wake up and greet the world in hope(s) I don't have an anxiety attack. Sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't. It's a crapshoot, really. I've been really lucky that I only have an attack a few times a week, and I know I'm thankful. If I do have a horrible day, I find a way to relax after it is over.


Relaxing with anxiety is hard to do. Your nerves are on edge and your brain will not shut up (I still haven't found the elusive on/off switch). Luckily I've found solace in not only blogging, but writing my thoughts down on paper at night. It allows me to put my anxiety into words and forget about them while I sleep. For the past month and a half, I've been doing this and it kind of gets my creative juices flowing. (Mental reminder: You still haven't worked on your book.)

Starting your own Anxiety Journal is as easy as sitting down and writing. Don't worry if you think it sounds weird or stupid, just write. It doesn't have to be long. Here is one thing you must remember: Write in it every day! It doesn't matter what time of the day you journal; it can be in the morning, afternoon, evening, or even late at night when everyone else is asleep. Personally, I like to write without the distractions of day-to-day worries. At night is when I feel more relaxed and able to allow my brain to take it slow. Any racing thoughts go from the Indy 500 to a snail's pace. So, find a place you can relax and jot down your anxieties for that day.

Keep in mind that this is YOUR journal and for your eyes only. If need be to keep prying eyes away, perhaps a dragon sitting on top to guard it?

If you need help getting started, here are some ideas:

  • What were you feeling waking up?
  • What caused you to have an anxiety attack that day? (Only if you had an attack)
  • On a scale from 1 to 10, how was your anxiety?
  • Were you able to calm your thoughts? How so?
All you have to do is reach inside your brain and pull those worries up on file and put them down on paper.

Of course, don't forget to date the paper each time. This makes it easier to look back on and remember what that day was like.

Happy writing!

1 comment:

  1. I love it! I need to do this!
    Always believe in yourself!
    Because I always believe in you!
    ~~momma

    ReplyDelete

Show geeky love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...