Monday, May 6, 2013

May Is Mental Health Awareness Month



I had no idea how I was going to start this particular post.

I could have...

  1. Rehashed the fact that I have an anxiety disorder. We all know that by now!
  2. Started with "Did you know how many people in the United States have....."
  3. Started with a few sentences on how I never get enough sleep before going into why May was dubbed Mental Health Awareness Month.
I find it weird how there's a stigma attached to those who do have mental health problems. If you have anxiety, you're just paranoid. If you're depressed, then you need to get over it. There's no way one can possibly break the vicious cycle that is wired within our brains. There's no "shut off" button (or none that I've found) that we can just push and turn it all off.

Mental Health Awareness Month is raising awareness for all of those who do suffer from some form of it. Depression and anxiety aren't just the only ones. There's stress (there is such a thing as chronic stress), schizophrenia, Bipolar Disorders, and much more. 

Before I was diagnosed, I had no idea that I'd ever be part of raising awareness for mental disorders. But now I understand what it's all about. It's just not about saying "I'm not letting my mental disorder define me," but it's getting out the information ABOUT them. Not everyone understands/knows what someone with Bipolar Disorder goes through, or how a schizophrenic lives their life day to day.

Because I do have this blog, and I do let you in my [almost] day-to-day life of anxiety, I'm at least getting the word out there little by little.

For more information on Mental Health, visit National Institute of Mental Health

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show geeky love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...